General Eye Care
Cleaning the eye
* The operated eye should be cleaned at least twice a day.
* The attendant performing this task should wash the hands with soap and water and dry them with a clean towel.
* You may use disposable tissues supplied at the center for this purpose. Alternately, you may place cotton in a clean vessel, cover it, with a lid for 10 minutes, let it cool down, take the cotton out, squeeze the excess water and use the same to clean.
* Cleaning the lower lid is done by asking the patient to look up and wiping all the secretions sticking to the lower lid margin.
* Cleaning the upper lid is done by asking the patient to look down and doing the similar procedure.
* Similarly, the outer and inner corners of the eye are cleaned.
* Once the margins and corners are cleaned, the eye drops can be applied and then the surrounding areas can also be cleaned.
Applying medications in the eye
* The attendant should wash his/her hands with soap and water.
* The cap of the eye drop bottle should be opened carefully without contaminating the tip of the nozzle. Replace the cap of the bottle immediately after use.
* Pull the lower lid and place the drop between the eyeball and the lid by squeezing the bottle.
* Wipe away excess medicine that may trickle out, after asking the patient to gently close the eye.
* The eyes should be kept closed for a period of 5 minutes after the drop is applied.
* Always apply drops before applying the ointment.
* Leave a period of at least 5 minutes between two medications.
* Make sure that the right drops are being used for the right number of times.